Wednesday, November 12, 2008

The Story Thus Far in Brief

So as you probably know, I've been diagnosed with breast cancer. I've been thinking about starting (or re-starting, as the case may be) a blog to keep track of how things are going, so people can just check in, or go back & see what's been done, or whatever. I guess maybe it'll be therapeutic. I've never been very good at keeping a diary consistently, so we'll see how long this one lasts. Given that the last entry in this was 2 years ago . . . .

So a brief history of week one of all this crapola:
Early September 2008 Annual physical. Doctor says "Did you know you have a lump in your left breast?" I say "Uuuhhh . . . ." because I had noticed it a few weeks earlier, but had dismissed it. Hey, I don't have a history of breast cancer. And geez, I was 34 at the time (ok, 35 minus 4 days) So ladies (and gentlemen! You're not immune!) check yourself - and don't dismiss anything! She goes on to say "Well, you can wait until after your next period to get it checked out if you want. It might just be a hormonal thing."
Rest of September I wait. It doesn't go away, in spite of daily palpations on my part. Minds out of the gutter, boys. Also news flash: doing your monthly breast exams doesn't prevent cancer! It just detects it! I clearly had some mental shifting to do.
Friday, 10/3/2008 In spite of the lump seeming smaller and less distinct, I go in to the radiologist & have a mammogram & sonogram. Planning on going to work that afternoon, because hey, I'll be in and out of here. Results: "highly suspicious of malignancy". "You need to have a biopsy asap." Wha happened?!
Monday, 10/6/2008 Needle biopsy. They numb the entire boob & go in through a tube (I didn't look, but I think it was somewhere between the size of a regular straw & a coffee stirrer straw) & take 4 core samples.
Tuesday, 10/7/2008 Biopsy results: positive for invasive ductal carcinoma with an in situ component (warning: this is just the first of much medical jargon to come.). Meet with my GP who advises going off the pill, which I was taking for cramps, and which was also the 3-month pill, so bring on the monthly & crampier periods. Argh.

Next time: I meet with the surgeons

No comments: