Friday, December 19, 2008

Update on Things

I'm sitting here about to start my chemo session. I'm currently receiving some anti-nausea drugs. So far they are working. Here's hoping they continue once I get the real stuff. To bring you up to date this week:
Monday was the egg harvesting. I was totally knocked out. Also had the fun experience of walking into the operating room & putting my legs straight up in the stirrups. I sort of thought maybe I'd go in, they put me out & then they'd arrange me however they needed, but nope! Right up in there! The indignity didn't last too long, though, as I was out soon enough. After waking up they said they had 6 eggs. Now the thing I didn't realize was that after they get them out, they still have to mature before they can freeze them. I did not know this, so was quite shocked when I got a call Tuesday from one of the nurses that 2 of them had matured. Meaning 4 of them hadn't. So great. I went through all that for two eggs? To my great relief, my doctor called Wednesday and said that the remaining four had matured overnight. Phew! So 6/6 have been put on ice. 100%, baby! Well, really, only 50%. Ha ha ha. A little fertility humour there.

Wednesday morning I had a CT scan & a MUGA heart scan. The CT scan was interesting, mostly because they dye they inject in you makes you all warm in your crotch like you're peeing yourself. The nurse told me this, but she had a bit of an accent - from the islands - so I said "What?" sure I had heard her wrong. Nope, she laughed "It'll feel like you're peeing." Wow, ok. And sure enough, there it was. I felt a bit of warmth in the back of my throat & jaw, and some in my feet, but yep, it feels like I'm losing bladder control. Weird, because nothing else really warmed up. For the MUGA scan, they pull out some blood, attach it to a radioactive tracer, and let it sit for 1/2 hour to bond before putting it back into you and taking the pictures. The technician brought the syringe of blood back inside this thing that looked like an empty toilet paper tube with a stand. It was lead! To protect us! I hadn't even thought about that, but there it is. So everything turned out fine. The CT technician saw some "changes" in my ovaries, but my oncologist told him (her?) about the egg harvesting.

No comments: