Saturday, December 20, 2008

First Chemo

Yesterday was my first chemo. I had intended to write a second posting after my update, but it went pretty quickly. I got up there about 8:45am & we were out of there by 12:30pm. I was kind of surprised at that. Pleasantly, though. They try to make it as nice as possible, but you know, it's still a chemo unit. The port worked as advertised, except for the less pain part. Ow! Man, that hurt like ca-razy. It shouldn't hurt as much next time because a) I'll be more than a week & a half out from the port implant procedure & b) my doctor prescribed lidocaine. So I will put that on about 45 minutes before I got in for my next infusion & then I shouldn't feel it. Phew! Here's hoping.

I'm feeling ok. A little tired. I went to bed early last night, but then I got sucked into this book I've been reading, so it was about 10:15 when I finally shut out the light. Which is still a lot earlier than I normally go to sleep - especially on a weekend. But I feel mostly fine. Yesterday I felt like I was starting to get the flu a little - just sort of headachy & a little sore. I feel better now. Not much headache left. Still tired though. I fell asleep at halftime of the basketball game & woke up & they had switched to some other game. So I was pretty out for probably at least 1/2 hour. The dry mouth came on immediately though. Bleah! More water! I don't feel dehydrated - except for my mouth. I think I need to start chewing gum more. I must remember to tell Mom that for stocking stuffers for me. Yes, I still get a stocking. Shut up!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am so impressed. Thank you for being so brave and irreverant. I love your PMA (positive mental attitude) mixed in with some sarcasm and fertility/cancer/boobie humor. Great mix. Seriously, thank you for sharing and you are in our prayers. And if you want to come visit and stay in our house in Brooklyn, we have a room all ready for you. thinking of you.

Jeffy said...

Congrats on the primo chemo. BTW I still get a stocking too.