Friday, June 05, 2009

Clear Margins!

I saw my surgeon on Tuesday who told me that hooray! The margins were clear! Such a relief. So I won't see her again until December. Today I went & saw my oncologist & everything went well there, too. Although before meeting with her I had a mammogram, which I do NOT recommend one week out of surgery. God. I didn't really think about it, my surgeon just said to her assistant "Get her a mammo before starting radiation." And I was just trying to get it scheduled at the same time as something else. But yeah . . . I should have scheduled it in about 2 weeks. Especially b/c the tech flattened, then raised the screen, repositioned me, flattened, raised, repositioned . . . so my boob got squished about 8 times more than it needed to. Ouch. So the radiologist who reviewed the films said that you could see the air pocket in there. Heh. I took a peek at the images on the computer & you could see a big old hole in the middle. Interesting stuff! My one (relatively minor) irritation is that they didn't take out the port. So I'm going in on Monday to get rid of it. I've just tolerated it these past few months, but I really don't like it & now that I don't need it, I really want it gone. I just can't stand it. Argh! It will be nice to be done with that, too.

My oncologist said that my achiness is something called 'post-chemo rheumatism'. So I feel better that it's not just from my trying to get in shape. It should go away . . . eventually. Hopefully sooner than later. In the meantime, I'll just grunt & groan when I'm getting up from a chair, & walk around like an 80-year-old. Siiiiiigh. Also, I am in a study for bisphosphonates to see if that lowers metastasis in bones. There's a 2/3 chance I'll be getting a pill, and 1/3 chance I'll be getting an IV. I'm hoping for the IV. The pills you have to take in the morning, and you can't eat or drink for 1/2 or 1 hour after you take them. And you have to sit up in bed after you take them, or you risk really bad heartburn. Argh! The IV you only get once a month for 6 months, then every 3 months for 2.5 years. I'd rather deal with it once every 1 or 3 months.

And in fundraising news - I've already hit my goal! And even before the fundraiser!! Which means the fundraiser money can go to bringing the rest of my team up to their minimum. Yay!! Thank you EVERYONE!!! I really appreciate it!

No comments: